Your roof is the primary piece of protection against the elements. Your home just won’t be complete without a roof that’s built soundly. The roof also provides insulation and leads water away from other essential areas of your home. However, there are threats to your roof that you should be aware of. After all, your roof is not completely invincible. Although it can withstand most of what nature throws at it, you will end up with a costly roof repair if you’re not careful enough.
A list of things that could potentially damage your roof
- Trees – one common threat to your roof are trees. It might give you shade and fresh air but trees planted too close to your home will have repercussions. Trees alone won’t have any damage to your roof. However, pair it with strong winds and you have a recipe for disaster. Always make it a point to keep trees at a safe distance from your home.
- Hail – if you live in places where temperatures drop below freezing, there are chances you might experience some hail. Although not all hailstorms cause problems to your roof, the majority of them can. Chunks of ice falling at more than 60miles per hour can be enough to break your shingles. Always have a roof inspection whenever a nasty hailstorm just passed by your location. This is a safety measure since hailstorms can potentially be damaging to your roof especially if your home has been around for more than a decade.
- Snow and ice – again, if you live in the colder regions of the United States, you would experience a battery of nasty weather. Snow and ice can put a great deal of stress on your roof. An hour of snowfall wouldn’t possibly make a difference. However, let the snowfall overnight and you’ve got yourself a few feet of snow and ice piling on top of your roof. The sheer weight of the snow can damage the inner working of your roof. After winter, have your roof inspected by your local Florence roofing contractor to see if anything needs fixing.
- Wind – if you live in an area that sees a lot of hurricanes and tornados each year, you pretty much have a clear understanding of how Mother Nature can whip up one awful weather. Strong winds can have great impacts on your roof. Shingles could peel right off like it wasn’t set in place. Again, after such events, always have your roof checked. A good inspection can keep you away from costly repairs in the future.
- Dirty gutters – your gutter will inevitably catch a lot of dirt and debris. Most of this dirt just washes away after heavy rains. However, it’s not all the time that the rain cleans your gutter. Most of the time, the dirt stays on your gutter and accumulates, clogging the downspout and overflowing. When water overflows from your gutters, it could lead to serious problems. If you spot any damage to your roof in particular, always call experts like Florence Roofing Experts. Your roof is an important part of your home and it needs all the attention it could get. Avoid problems from getting worse. Call your local roofing contractor at the first sight of roofing problems.
Call Florence Roofing Experts if you need professional help in inspecting, repairing, or installing a new roof.
Florence Roofing Experts
2117-B W. Palmetto Street #103
Florence, SC 29501